The last time we moved houses, I was around 8 months pregnant. Crazy right?! It was an experience I will never forget but we made it happen in the short space of time we had. I told myself I will never do this again because it’s just too stressful.
Years later, Vije and I are looking at properties again to see if we can get a bigger house at a good price. Our family is growing and everyone needs their own space. I don’t think moving with a toddler can be any easier than moving when you pregnant. Moving to a new environment and house can be confusing for a 2-year old.
I’ve searched the internet for properties and I must admit Gumtree has really upped their game. You can now use a property price check (which can be downloaded on your phone) to get real-time pricing for the areas you love.
The website uses interactive charts and cross comparison to give you all the information you need. There’s hundreds of properties listed each day in different cities to give you the different options you need. This app is so easy to use and it has been a lifesaver for me when it comes to pricing!
Finding the perfect location to settle is always difficult especially with kids. We have to consider so many important points before choosing an area to live in.
- Is there a school nearby?
- How far are we from the closet shopping centre and hospital?
- What’s the crime rate in the area?
- Traffic to and from work and school.
- Entertainment/Kids activities
I was born in Durban but moved to Johannesburg end of primary school. I love both cities but my heart is in Johannesburg. I would choose the city of gold any day over Cape Town or Durban, however all 3 cities have attractions that I love. I would recommend you to research cities first if you planning to move.
- Get organised from 4 – 6 weeks before the actual move. Plan your packing and moving schedule.
- Avoid potty or sleep training during the moving period. It can become stressful for you and your child.
- Ask your child to help you label boxes. Make it fun! Label boxes (The room and person they belong to).
- Teach your child while packing. (Colours, shapes, words, numbers, etc.).
- Don’t be afraid to ask for assistance. 3 pair of hands is better than one especially if you have a newborn. Gumtree can help you find professional movers to get the job done quicker. There’s even a company just to move your piano!
- Leave your child’s special items unpacked during the move especially their soothing toys. Create a “busy” box filled with lots of activities, snacks and surprises for the hectic day ahead.
- Let your child help you decorate his/her room. Do this together as a family.
- Child proof your new home as soon as you arrive or even before if possible.
- Unpack one room at a time and don’t rush to do everything at once.
- Get to know the parents in the area and make playdates.
Moving can be easy with good planning and the right tools. Gumtree gives you the opportunity to search for your dream home while you lay in bed with a cup of coffee.