If you have never eaten a McDonalds Apple Pie before then you have legitimately missed out on one of the BEST fried foods ever. It is sweet, crispy perfection and once you have one, the standard will be set for apple pies for the rest of your life. That flaky pastry and tender but still slightly firm apple filling…pure (unhealthy) indulgence. So of course I had to try and make my own version! Spoiler Alert: it’s amazing!
Nadia’s Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup of sugar (use as much or as little as you like)
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- a roll of puff pastry
- 4-5 grannysmith apples
- oil for frying
- First things first, peel, core and slice your apples. You could also cube them, its really whatever you prefer.
- Add the apples to a casserole dish and cover with water. Cling wrap the dish and microwave for 10-15 minutes. The apples need to be cooked but still a bit firm.
- While the apples are in the microwave, lightly dust your workspace with some flour then unroll the puff pastry
- Here’s a key point: use a rolling pin to roll the pastry to 1.5x the original size. It needs to be as thin as possible without tearing.
- Trim the edges(keep them aside, I’ll tell you why at the end) so that you’re left with a neat rectangle then section off into 10-18 pieces (depending on the size of pie you want to make.)
- Add your oil to a pot and heat it up so that its ready for frying.
- When the apples are done, drain all the water then add half the sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Taste the apples and add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Fill the centre of half the pastry slices with the apple mix (stay away from the edges) and then cover the apples with another slice of pastry.
- Press down the edges of the pastry using a fork to seal in the filling.
- Lastly, fry the apple pies until golden brown. It takes a minute or two. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle a liberal amount of brown sugar on it immediately for that crunchy exterior.
- Eat as soon as it is done because once the pastry loses it’s crispiness the magic is lost.
- Remember those trimmed edges from earlier? Fry for a few seconds then remove and dust with cinnamon and brown sugar. So, so good!
Homemade Apple Pies
A healthier version of the Apple Pie
Now if the thought of deep frying makes your arteries cringe then you could also pop the pies in the oven and bake them. 190 degrees for about 15 minutes should do the trick. Keep an eye on them and remove when the pies are a nice golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar as soon as its out and eat hot.