This post was sponsored by Faithful to Nature online store and is focused on gut health.
Did you know that there is one important thing you can control before and during conception, pregnancy, and birth?
Your baby’s gut bacteria.
Yes, you can decide the quality of your baby’s gut which is the most important foundation of baby’s health for life.
To be honest, this is not a topic I thought about blogging about because I am not a medical expert, however, I do feel it is my duty to share the information I’ve learned over the past couple of years about why it is so important especially during pregnancy.
When your gut is unhealthy, it can cause more than just stomach pain, gas, bloating, or diarrhea. 60-80% of our immune system is in our gut.
Gut imbalances have been linked to hormonal imbalances, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, eczema, rosacea, and other chronic health problems. Source: www.mindbodygreen.com
Research says that it even causes fertility issues.
Did you know that what you eat during pregnancy can impact three generations?
Yes, I know I found this hard to believe too but research done by medical professionals say that poor eating habits can have an impact on our DNA even for our great grandchildren. You can read more about this here.
Why your baby needs a healthy gut:
1. Digestive Comfort
A healthy gut like is a powerhouse for the digestive system.
2. Nutrient Absorption
A healthy gut allows necessary nutrients to be absorbed.
3. Regular Bowel Movement
4. Natural Defences
70% of the immune cells live in the gut. It is also home to trillions of friendly bacteria that helps with strong natural defences against germs and infection.
5. Growth and Development
A healthy gut absorbs key nutrients such as Iron and Calcium more effectively.
6. Source of Brain ‘Food’
Nutrients like DHA and ARA are more easily absorbed by a healthy gut.
90% of the body’s serotonin, the ‘feel-good’ hormone, is produced in the gut.
How you can help your baby develop a healthy gut during and after pregnancy:
1. Consider taking a probiotic supplement before, during and after pregnancy.
There’s so many on the market but I found the best for you on the Faithful to Nature store.
2. Eat a diet rich in prebiotics and probiotics.
Find the right products to feed your body on the Faithful to Nature store.
3. If you have a choice between Vaginal and C-Section, choose Vaginal. Babies born by caesarean section are colonized with different types of bacteria than those born vaginally. Read more here.
4. Lots of skin-to-skin after birth.
5. Don’t bath baby immediately after birth – the vernix on baby’s skin is important.
7. Limit who touches your baby.
8. Avoid antibiotics if possible.
9. Introduced solids with a balanced diet that are packed with prebiotics.
10. Cut down on junk food.
If you want to know what are the signs of an unhealthy gut, read this informative post on Faithful to Nature‘s blog.
There’s still debate and research going into how babies born via C-section should be swabbed with a piece of gauze that had been cultured with the mother’s vaginal bacteria.
What do you think about this?
If you’re looking for a one stop shop for everything organic, you need to check out www.faithful-to-nature.co.za. Read my previous post about my favorite products from the online store during pregnancy and postpartum.
Win a R 1000 voucher from Faithful to Nature Online store!
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Share this post on social media.
2. Comment below and let me know which is your favorite product from the store?
EARN EXTRA ENTRIES:
1. Tweet about the competition:
I want to WIN with @youbabyandi and @Faithful2Nature. You can WIN too, enter here: https://goo.gl/cJk0DB. #youbabyandi
2. Like Faithful to Nature Facebook page – www.facebook.com/FaithfulToNature.
Competition closes 24 March 2017.
Opened to South Africans only.