We all know kids love messing around in the kitchen. That’s why, in the spirit of the season, I’ve found some delicious kids’ treats that they can make themselves (with only a teeny bit of help needed from Mom!)
And naturally, Easter is all about chocolate and here’s what we have:
1. White chocolate puffed rice nests that you can fill with your favourite sweet treats.
2. Chocolate dipped smores for a chocolate delight that you’ll enjoy making AND eating.Adorable chocolate biscuit bunnies you’ll love decorating!
3. Adorable chocolate biscuit bunnies you’ll love decorating!
Making Easter treats together is a super special way for Moms and kids to celebrate the Easter season together. So, what are you waiting for? 😉 Gather the kids into the kitchen for hours of honest to goodness Easter fun that’s super tasty and super easy to make!
TIPS FOR MOM WHEN COOKING IN THE KITCHEN WITH THE KIDS:
Cooking with kids is a delight when you remember to follow common sense principles:
1. Set up the workspace so that all the kids baking can easily reach the surface.
2. Put down wax paper or newspaper to catch spills.
3. Supervise closely, and don’t let kids handle sharp tools or hot cookware that might injure them.
WHITE CHOCOLATE PUFFED RICE NESTS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Setting time: 30 minutes
75g Staffords Magicmelt White Choc Discs
2 – 4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups puffed rice cereal
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin. And get everyone to wash their hands – you’re going to get some sticky fingers in a couple of minutes!
- In the microwave, melt the butter with the Staffords Magicmelt White Choc Discs, stirring every 30 seconds so you don’t burn the mixture. Allow to cool slightly.
- Melt the mini marshmallows in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time – it should take no more than a minute (depending on your microwave) to get them nice and gooey.
- PLEASE NOTE: This part is for Mom only, so kids don’t get burned! Add the cereal to the marshmallows along with the butter and chocolate mixture and stir quickly to combine, being careful not to smash the puffed rice.
- Divide into 12 portions. Here’s where the kids join in and get messy: press treats into the muffin holes, making a dent in the middle of each to form a nest.
- Allow to set at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove from moulds and store in an airtight container.
- To serve, drizzle with extra melted Staffords Magicmelt chocolate, if you like, and fill with mini Easter eggs.
CHOC CHIP SHORTBREAD BUNNY BISCUITS
Preparation time: 20 minutes + chilling
Baking time: 10 minutes
100g unsalted butter, cubed
100g icing sugar
75g Staffords Magicmelt Choc Chips
1 free-range egg, beaten
50g Staffords Magicmelt Milk Chocolate Disks placed in a strong plastic bag with the top sealed, melted in a bowl of warm water
16 Staffords Magicmelt White or Milk Chocolate Disks
- For the biscuits, blend the flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor with a pinch of salt until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl, add the Staffords Magicmelt Choc Chips, egg and a little cold water to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes until firm.
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, cut out 8x7cm discs and put them on a lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- Now’s the moment to let the kids loose and have some fun! Cut a tiny hole in one corner of the plastic bag (dry it off first). Use melted chocolate to stick on the chocolate disks for bunny ears and pipe a cute bunny face on each biscuit. The kids can pipe the rest of the chocolate straight into their mouths!
DIPPED DIGESTIVE SMORES
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Setting time: 30 minutes
16 wholewheat Digestive biscuits (or use any firm plain biscuits you like)
½ cup chocolate spread or peanut butter
1x150g pack Staffords Magicmelt White Choc Discs
1x150g pack Staffords Staffords Magicmelt Milk Choc Discs
1x250g pack Staffords Magicmelt Rainbow Vermicelli
1x250g pack Staffords Magicmelt Choc Vermicelli
- Spread a dollop of chocolate spread or peanut butter onto 8 of the digestive biscuits – kids can easily do this with the back of a teaspoon.
- Moms, while the kids are busy with the spreading, lightly toast the marshmallows on skewers or pop in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to get them gooey. Place a soft marshmallow on each biscuit, then top with one of the reserved digestives and push down to make a sandwich.
- Melt the Staffords Magicmelt White Choc Discs and Staffords Magicmelt Milk Choc Discs in separate glass bowls over simmering water. Set aside to cool a little. Decant the Staffords Magicmelt Rainbow Vermicelli and Staffords Magicmelt Choc Vermicelli into separate bowls.
- Dip each of the smores in melted chocolate and then vermicelli in whatever combinations make your children happy.
- If you can stand to wait, place on a wire rack to set for 30 minutes – just enough time to clean up the kids and the kitchen!