When I was approached by Gumtree to do this post, the first thing that came to my mind is how do I describe a website with so much content? I’ve visited Gumtree on many occasions looking for items I couldn’t afford to buy brand new and I even advertised items that I wanted to sell.
Gumtree is one of South Africa’s leading websites which allows you to buy and sell items online.
Did you know…?
- Gumtree is a well-established international brand and forms part of the eBay classifieds group. Although they ads are completely local, they are backed by their international expertise and support.
- Gumtree is by far South Africa’s favourite classified site – it’s the 6th largest site in South Africa and reaches 18% of the population every single month (Alexa, Sept 2013).
- Over 600 000 live ads and 30 000 new ads are posted on Gumtree every single day.
The big question on everyone’s mind is: How do I stay safe on Gumtree?
Is it safe to buy something from someone I don’t know personally?
We all need to be cautious when we dealing with people over the internet, not everyone is who they say they are. Whether its Facebook or Gumtree, we still need to be careful.
My tips for being safe on the Internet:
- Always visit the company’s website or social media accounts.
- If you purchasing from an individual, google their name. Check their social media accounts.
- Call them to find out more before you purchase.
- If they persistent on you purchasing and expect full payment before delivery, double-check with a family member or friend before paying.
- Check for reviews and previously purchased buyers.
Gumtree works with local and international law enforcement agencies to help keep the site free from scams and other illegal activities. They committed to keeping Gumtree a safe place, and will always assist in a criminal investigation. Click here to gain more info on how you can stay safe on Gumtree.
After researching and playing around on their website, I’ve decided to summarise my reasons for visiting. As a mom with a growing family, I cannot afford to buy everything brand new. Gumtree is the perfect place for me to buy things for my home, myself and my child.
10 reasons why you need to visit Gumtree.co.za:
1. Easy to navigate
I love that it is so easy to use. It’s simple to post a free ad within 5 minutes.
2. Online Shopping.
Gumtree has a variety of categories to suit everyone’s needs. You can find anything on the website and I mean ANYTHING… like this collectible figure of a really hot guy. 😉
Who doesn’t love shopping online… 😉
If you looking for:
Women’s Clothing, click here.
Anything Home & Garden, click here.
Camping gear for December. click here.
Tickets for sale, click here.
There’s new and secondhand products available.
The website is not only filled with products, it also has services offered by various different companies including Party venues and DJ/Entertainment.
Gumtree has over 30 categories under Jobs to help you find that perfect job you’ve been looking for.
4. Personalized selling
Gumtree is like a “yard sale” online for secondhand products. You talk directly to your niche.
5. Mobile friendly
You can download the official free app via:
Help DJ Fresh renovate and refurbish Little Pina Pina Educare Centre. It’s so exciting to see a website like Gumtree involved in helping make a difference in South Africa. Companies like this who try their best to utilize their service in whichever way they can to give back to the community deserve a round of applause. You can donate to charities on Gumtree or get involved in initiatives linked to the website like the one I mentioned above.
7. Mom has options
I love that I can buy from strollers to cots on the website. I get options and I can see what suits my budget. With the option of adding lots of pictures, it gives the buyer an opportunity to ‘view’ your catalogue. You can even customize your search.
You can promote your ad to get a quicker response.
Gumtree gives you an option to negotiate with the buyer for a better price.
10. Post more than one ad.
The big bonus for me is you not limited to one advert.
Like the sound of this? Visit the website, you might find something you were searching for or put it on Gumtree! 😉