For many, the summer holiday season is a time for families to unwind, relax and celebrate time together, which usually involves an influx of social gatherings and activities. This change in routine can also lead to overindulgence which results in the challenge of reviving balanced lifestyle habits when the time for New Year’s resolutions comes around again.
To help strike a balance between enjoying the occasion and not overindulging, Nestlé South Africa shares its top holiday survival tips below.
Eat a small snack before heading out.
You’ve heard that you should never shop on an empty stomach but really you should never go anywhere on an empty stomach.
Nibbling on some juicy grapes or enjoying a small handful of unsalted nuts or a small packet of lean biltong, or even a glass of milk, will save you from grabbing something less favourable while out-and-about and waiting for your next meal.
In restaurants try not to fill yourself up on the bread before the meal – it adds unnecessary kilojoules and may lead to overeating.
Survey the spread and have a strategy.
If you find yourself at a dinner/lunch party, chances are high that you will be confronted by an array of rich and delicious food. To avoid having a plate piled high with every available option, hold back and observe what is on offer.
Before dishing up, have a clear idea of what you will be eating and be conscious that your plate should ideally contain ½ vegetables, ¼ protein and ¼ starches or grains. We also have a psychological need to fill our plates – if possible opt for a side plate serving and go back for seconds only if you’re still peckish later.
Enjoy a treat, adjust a meal.
It’s okay to indulge a bit when on holiday – but If you do have a treat, balance it out with your usual snack or eat a smaller meal at lunch or dinner.
All treats can be enjoyed in moderation, especially if you lead an active lifestyle, so round up the troops and set out on an afternoon stroll after lunch.
Before you sit back and enjoy a cold beer, sip on a glass of wine or gulp down an ice-cold cool drink, consider that there can be just as many kilojoules in what we drink as there are in what we eat.
Diluting fruit juices or wine with soda water and lots of ice can create refreshing alternatives while lowering the kilojoule content.
Holidays are the perfect time to enjoy fun activities with your family and friends as it strengthens bonds and creates fond memories.
An added bonus is that activities also serve as great distractions from tempting snack options and can help you get up and move more, getting rid of extra energy consumed throughout the day.
For more helpful tips on how to eat smarter and move more these holidays, go to www.nestlewellness.co.za or follow Nestlé on Twitter or Facebook.
RULES FOR COMPETITION:
Nestlé Hamper giveaway with YOU, BABY & I (December 2018)
· Participation in this Competition is governed by these terms and conditions (the Rules).
· Participants are encouraged to review the Rules before entering the Competition and acknowledge that they have been given an appropriate opportunity to do so and that they understand and accept these Rules.
· This Competition is operated by Nestlé (South Africa) (Proprietary) Limited (Nestlé) in conjunction with Shaney Vijendranath (YOU, BABY & I) (the Promoters).
· Participation in the Competition constitutes acceptance of these Rules and Participants agree to abide by these Rules.
2. By participating in this Competition, Participants agree to the rules set out below
· This Competition is limited to legal residents and/or legal citizens of the Republic of South Africa. In addition, the following people shall not be eligible to participate in this Competition:
· Directors, members, partners, promotional and advertising agents, merchandisers, employees or consultants of the Promoters.
· People who are not legal residents and/or legal citizens of the Republic of South Africa.
· Spouse, life partner, parent, child, brother, sister, business partner or associate of any of the persons specified above.
· Persons under the age of 18 years.
3. The Competition shall commence on 18 December 2018 and will end on 22 December 2018. No entries received after this date will be considered.
· To participate in this Competition, Participants are required to SHARE the associated Facebook post on https://www.facebook.com/youbabyandi/ and COMMENT in the comment section by sharing one tip on how you can stay healthy this holidays
· The winner will be chosen by way of random draw.
· At the time that a potential prize winner is identified, the potential prize winner will receive a telephone call / email from a representative of the Promoters at which point he/she may be required to answer a few questions regarding his/her eligibility as well as be requested to submit certain documents such as a copy of his/her ID and/or driver’s license and their physically address for the delivery of their prize to the Promoters representative.
· Eligible winners will have their prizes delivered to them by a representative of the Promotors based on the information they would have shared via the above-mentioned telephonic conversation
· Prize will be delivered on or before 15 January 2019.
· No spam will be tolerated.
· If the Promotors are unable to reach the potential prize winners after 3 (three) attempts made within 3 (three) working days of their name being drawn, for whatsoever reason, including incorrect telephone numbers or inoperative telephone numbers, such winner will be disqualified and a runner-up finalist will be deemed the potential prize winner subject to the terms and conditions herein.
5. The Prize: Participants in this Competition stand a chance to win 1 Nestlé hamper containing:
· 1 x MILO
· 1 x NESTLE hot chocolate
· 1 x NESCAFE CLASSIC
· 1 x big KIT KAT
· 2 x AERO’s
· 4 x 2 MINUTE NOODLES
· 1 x portion scoop
· 1 x skipping rope
· The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered.
· Should the winner be found, in the Promoters sole discretion: not to be eligible to win; not to have complied with these Rules; their conduct can be reasonably interpreted as scamming; acted fraudulently with regards to the Competition; and if it would be unlawful to award the prize, he/she will automatically be disqualified, and/or the prize will be forfeited. Winners may also be required to sign acceptance of prizes and indemnity documents.
· The prize is not transferable, and no substitution or cash redemption of prizes is permitted. The prize will not be handed/awarded to a third party, but only to the verified prize winner
· The Promoters reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to substitute the prize with any other prize of comparable or greater commercial value for whatever reason.
· By entering, a Participant acknowledges that personal information about the Participant will be shared with the Promoters and their agents to the extent necessary to conduct the Competition and for prizes to be delivered to prize winners.
· Nothing in these Rules is intended to, or must be understood to, unlawfully restrict, limit or avoid any rights or obligations, as the case may be, created for either the Participant or the Promoters in terms of the Consumer Protection Act, 68 of 2008 (CPA).
· All Participants participate entirely at their own risk. By reading and accepting these Rules, the Participants give consent to these risks and hereby indemnifies and holds harmless the Promoters, their directors, employees and agents of any and all liability pertaining to any damage, cost, injuries and losses of whatever nature sustained as a result of their participation in the Competition and related events and activities, save where such damage, cost, injuries and losses are sustained as a result of the gross negligence or willful misconduct of any of the Promoters.
· The Promoters, their directors, employees, agents and distributors accept no responsibility and they will not, in any circumstances, be liable to compensate the Participants, or accept any liability for: (a) any inability by the Participant to use the prize in part or at all; (b) the lack of quality or any other aspect of any service which is or should be provided at any venue(s) in relation to the prize; or (c) any personal loss or injury occurring at any venue(s) arising, directly or indirectly, out of the use of the prize.
· The Promoters, their directors, employees, agents and distributors, are not responsible for any misrepresentation (whether written or verbal) in respect of any prize nor in respect of any warranties or undertakings given by any person other than the Promoters themselves.
· The Promoters reserve the right to terminate or extend the Competition at any time. In the event of such termination or extension, all Participants agree to waive (give up) any rights that they may have in terms of the Promotion and acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoters, its advertising agencies, advisors, suppliers and nominated agents.
· By entering the Competition, Participants acknowledge that the Promotion will be managed in accordance with the provisions of the CPA. Participants undertake to expeditiously do all things necessary to enable the Promoters to comply with their obligations under the CPA including, but not limited to providing such personal information as may be required in order to facilitate handing over the prize to the Participant. Should any Participant refuse or be unable to comply with this requirement, the Participant shall be deemed to have forfeited the prize.
· Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in these Rules, the Promoters reserve the right to amend, modify, change, postpone suspend or cancel this Competition, the Rules and any prize (which has not yet been allocated), or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason which the Promoters deem necessary. At the end of the Competition for whatsoever reason, all the Promoters’ obligations in regard to the Competition as well as in regard to the prizes shall cease to exist.
· These Rules shall be governed by and interpreted according to the laws of the Republic of South Africa and any Participant and Nestlé consent to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the High Court of South Africa.
· For further information or enquiries please email our consumer services at [email protected] or call us on 086 0096 116. Calls to this number will be charged by your cellular network service provider.
· Facebook: This Competition is in no way organized, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to the Promoters and not to Facebook. The information you provide will be used for email/SMS communications for future Competitions.